A career assessment is a tool used to help professionals or students to decide on their career options and development. It is commonly used by hiring, managers, counselors, and coaches to determine areas of weakness and strengths of candidates. Some assessments focus on areas such as personality, interest, skills, aptitude, behavior and so forth. Several career assesments are available online and can be completed in the comfort of your home.
Most people will likely change their jobs once or more within a five year period. However, According to the agency’s FAQ, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), tasked with collecting all sorts of employment-related data does not report how many jobs change individuals. Also, the Department of Labor (DOL) doesn’t keep track of the number of career changes individuals make throughout their work life.
5 Amazing Things You Need To Know About How Career Assessments Can Benefit You:
1. Help Discover Your Passion
Most results of a career assessment provide information about your interests. The assessment won’t necessarily point you to an absolute “dream job”, but it will measure things such as your interests, personality, or aptitude. Your interests can also be fulfilled outside your job, through hobbies, community activities, family, education, and volunteer work. Find out more about specific occupations and fields that interest you, such as job descriptions, work environments, education requirements, and labor market information.
2. Help with Personal SWOT: A career assessment can open up a window to potential opportunities for professionals to uncover the tasks, experience, education, and training needed for their next career move. Even after choosing an academic field, many students find themselves at a crossroads as to what they want to do in their lives. These assessments can be effective in giving you ideas of potential careers that may be a match for your skills and interests and get you thinking about how well-suited you might be for that particular career.
3. Help with In-depth Career Exploration: The assessment report you receive is designed as a self-help tool to guide you in choosing a career that matches your interests. Treat your results as a starting point for career exploration. Specific occupations and fields that interest you, such as job descriptions, work environments, education requirements, and labor market information. Use other information to help you make career decisions (e.g., experience, skills, knowledge, talents, values, personal characteristics, and previous performance). Helping you make career worth decisions
4. Cost & Time-Saving: There is only a one-time fee for purchasing an assessment. Most career assessments are administered and completed online, it can be done in the comfort of your home. Generally, your assessment result is sent to you within 24 hours, in a PDF report with five or more pages with detailed information on each assessment category. Career assessment provides transparent and in-depth results.
5. Confidentiality Reporting: You get to respond candidly on the assessment. Assessment reports are not shared with anyone, the feedback you receive will be between you and a coach, counselor or humana resources generalist/specialist.
Career assessments questions you may benefit from:
- Do you want to live and work in a small community or a large urban center?
- Do you want to work a regular schedule, shift work, flexible or unpredictable hours?
- Do you mind being on-call, working casual, overtime, or long hours?
- What do I find personally rewarding?
Some sample career assessments you may consider:
Jackson Career Exploration: https://www.sigmatesting.com/samplereports/JCEreport.pdf
Leadership Skills Profile:https://www.sigmatesting.com/samplereports/LSPRFocusreport.pdf
Leadership Insight Assessment for Students: https://www.sigmatesting.com/samplereports/LCIAStudentreport.pdf